Energy Performance Certificates for self-catering properties

Support provided by Visit Scotland

What does this involve?

Self-catering properties (i.e. individual holiday homes, rented out in their entirety as specific properties to groups of people), are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) in place.

VisitScotland has created the sustainable tourism fact sheet: Energy Performance Certificates for self-catering to help properties understand what is required in getting an EPC.

This guide includes:

  • advice on what an EPC is and who can undertake the assessment
  • what an EPC assessor will be looking at and questions they might ask
  • how you can improve your property’s performance
  • using effective lighting
  • recommendations for insulation, windows and draughts
  • heating and heating controls
  • what to do once you have your EPC certificate

What does this cost?

This is a free service.

Who is this for?

This is aimed at self-catering businesses in Scotland.

How long does this take?

It takes around 9 minutes to read this guide.

Next steps

Visit the VisitScotland website to read the guide.

Support provided by Visit Scotland

Help us improve

We appreciate your feedback but we cannot reply to questions submitted here. Use our contact form if you need a reply. Please don't include personal or financial information like your contact details, national insurance number or credit card details.