Aquaculture fund for large-scale projects

Support provided by Scottish Aquaculture

What does this involve?

This is a timed call for projects that will help the aquaculture sector develop and grow sustainably, and ultimately increase its contribution to the economy.

Each project the Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre (SAIC) co-funds should contribute to one of the three priority areas outlined above. Equally, it must be a collaboration with at least one industry partner based in Scotland and one Scottish Higher Education Institution.

Projects must be innovative in their approach or lead to innovative solutions that will help support the Scottish aquaculture sector and associated supply chain.

SAIC defines innovation as something novel that creates measurable value – be it commercial, economic, social or public – both for the aquaculture sector itself and the Scottish economy. Typically, the projects SAIC co-funds sit within Technology Readiness Level 4 to 7, as defined by the European Commission.

Generally, SAIC funding will be awarded up to a maximum of 50% of the total project cost. Therefore, if you are an industry partner (or a consortium of industry partners) you must be able to demonstrate that you are able to contribute a minimum of 50% of the total cost as a combination of cash or in-kind.

If you are a higher education institution, you will be awarded funding at the rate of 80% Full Economic Costing (FEC). The remaining 20% must be covered by your institution, and may not be reclaimed or cross-charged to other sources of funding.

Am I eligible?

Any company that is active within Scottish aquaculture or a related sector (including those headquartered overseas but having operations in Scotland), and that is willing to contribute resources to the project – be it cash, in-kind, or a combination of both – is eligible to apply.

In collaboration with an industry partner, any recognised Scottish higher education institution (HEI) can also apply. Scottish research institutes and other higher education institutions from across the UK and elsewhere may participate as sub-contracted parties to the main academic research lead.

You will be eligible to apply if your proposed research project meets all of the following criteria:

  • Contributes towards at least one of SAIC’s priority innovation actions (PIAs):
  1. Finfish health and welfare
  2. Unlocking additional capacity
  3. Shellfish and other non-finfish species
  • Has at least one industry partner (one of which must be the lead partner)
  • Has at least one Scottish research partner
  • Identifies and addresses a commercial need
  • Delivers an economic benefit

What does this cost?

Applying for SAIC funding is free.

Who is this for?

This fund is for project teams that include Scottish businesses and Scottish higher education institutions with aquaculture project proposals that can demonstrate innovation and value to the sector.

How long does this take?

  • Deadline for submitting an Expression of Interest: 8 October 2020
  • Shortlisted applicants will be informed on 20 October 2020 and invited to submit a full application
  • Deadline for submitting a full application: 26 November 2020
  • Successful applicants will be notified by the end of February 2021

 

Important information

This is a timed call for projects with set deadlines as outlined above. The call is competitive, with the strongest project applications funded.

Next steps

Visit the Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre website for more information and to apply.

Support provided by Scottish Aquaculture

Help us improve findbusinesssupport.gov.scot

For example, something is incorrect, confusing or not working properly. Try to be as specific as possible. Don't include personal or financial information like your national insurance number or credit card details.