How to report self-isolation support payments

Support provided by HMRC

What does this involve?

If you’ve self-isolated due to coronavirus (COVID-19) and live in Scotland, you may be entitled to a lump sum payment of £500 through the Self Isolation Support Grant, external link which will open in a new window.

If you’re required to file a Self Assessment tax return, these payments must be included as income. These payments are taxable, but are exempt from Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions.

This guidance from HMRC explains how to report these payments on your Self Assessment tax return, with information on:

  • what to do if you are an employee (or both employed and self-employed, or employed and a partner in a trading partnership)
  • what to do if you’re self-employed or a partner in a trading partnership
  • what to do if you’ve submitted a return without the required adjustments

What does this cost?

Accessing the guidance is free.

Who is this for?

Anyone who is required to file a Self Assessment tax return, and who has received a support payment for self-isolating due to coronavirus (COVID-19).

How long does this take?

It will take around 5 minutes to read the guidance.

Next steps

Visit the UK Government website to read the full guidance.

Support provided by HMRC

Help us improve

We appreciate your feedback but we cannot reply to questions submitted here. Use our contact form if you need a reply. Please don't include personal or financial information like your contact details, national insurance number or credit card details.